Egg Donation

I am an egg donor, and here you'll find details of my donation cycles. Go to the beginning of the blog for day-by-day details of each cycle. Questions or Comments? Email eggdonor@gmail.com.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

To Cass: On Hyperstimulation

Cass posted a comment a couple posts down. Since she didn't leave an email address, I want to make sure she sees this reply:

Hi, Cass,

Yes - you have Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome (OHSS). This happened to me on my first cycle, too. You can read about it on an earlier post: http://eggdonor.blogspot.com/2004/09/2-days-post-retrieval-about.html.

Your clinic should have had you come in and they should be checking you frequently. When this happened to me, I had to go in every day.

There isn't a lot they can do unless it gets REALLY bad and then you go to the hospital. What you can do is to intake a LOT of salt. I literally was drinking grainy salt water, eating rice swimming in soy sauce, etc. That helped it go away. All together, I gained 17 pounds in 3 days and it took about 2 weeks for me to go back to normal.

I was so scared. I cried and completely freaked out. I know how scary this must be for you.

Try the salt and what your clinic recommends. If it gets to the point where normal breathing hurts or is difficult (that's how it was for me), insist that they bring you in and do an abdominal sonogram to see if it's getting worse. If you need to just talk about it or if you have questions, email me at eggdonor@gmail.com.

8 Comments:

At 10:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hello,
I feel much better reading what you said. I have all the same problems and I am miserable and scared. The clinic didn't seem to think it was a big deal, but then agian they don't have a sharp stabbing pain and 10 pounds extra weight in their belly either. I am going to start drinking salty stuff, and see if it helps.

THanks

 
At 10:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Cass,

I'm glad you found your way back here. please keep me updated on how it goes. Good luck and feel better!

E.D.

 
At 7:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question for you about the salt. What's the logic behind that? I thought salt makes you retain water, so doesn't that seem counterproductive? I didn't do much after my retrieval to combat the weight gain and I would really like to minimize the discomfort next time so if you can explain this to me I'd appreciate it very much!

 
At 6:08 AM , Blogger Leila said...

I recently donated and have been having hyperstim problems. I went back to my doctor's and they should be the pockets of water on an ultrasound. He told me to stay away from salt though. I'm still up the 12 lbs I've gained from the reaction and uncomfortable. Does the salt really work? I'm hestitant since I was told to stay away from it. I also donated 32 eggs so they said my reaction may be a bit worse than usual.

 
At 6:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are deciding to become an egg donor, ensure the clinic is experienced and an expert at the topic.

Egg donation is a very sensitive and delicate process.

Egg donation in South Africa is done very carefully and with absolute professional care for both egg donor and recipient.

baby2mom egg donation and surrogacy programme in South Africa
www.baby2mom.co.za

 
At 11:45 PM , Anonymous Egg Donors said...

Great Post.....

I found your site on stumbleupon and read a few of your other posts. Keep up the good work. I just added your RSS feed to my Google News Reader. Looking forward to reading more from you down the road!

Thanks for sharing....

 
At 2:09 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

nice post thanx!

 
At 2:10 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Egg Donation In egg donation, eggs are borrowed from a young woman (less than 33 yrs of age) called the donor, with her consent. These eggs are then fertilized with the sperms of the husband of the recipient woman and the resultant embryo (the earliest form of the baby), is inserted into the womb of the recipient. In Vitro Fertilization In order for pregnancy to occur, an egg has to be released from the ovary and unite with a sperm. Normally this union, called fertilization, occurs within the fallopian tube, which joins the uterus (womb) to the ovary. However, in IVF the union occurs in a laboratory after eggs and sperm have been collected. Embryos are then transferred to the uterus to continue growth. Until the 90's males with very low counts (less than 5 million per ml) or poor quality sperms had no hope of fathering children. In ICSI all the steps are similar to the procedure of IVF, except the step of fertilization. Normally in IVF one egg is mixed with 100,000 sperms and one of the sperms fertilizes the egg on its own. In contrast, in ICSI each egg is held and injected with a single live sperm. This micro-fertilization is done with the help of a machine called the Micromanipulator. Egg Donor India

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home