Egg Donation

I am an egg donor, and here you'll find details of my donation cycles. Go to the beginning of the blog for day-by-day details of each cycle. Questions or Comments? Email eggdonor@gmail.com.

Friday, November 11, 2005

Birth Control

I'm definitely going with this donation time off. I'm thinking about alternatives to the pill I'm on now. It gives me headaches when I come off. I had considered the Mirena IUD after seeing it mentioned on Tertia and Julie's blogs. However, the comments scared me away enough, especially since it's supposed to be more painful if you haven't ever had kids.

So I'm thinking about Seasonale, the pill where you only get a period once every 3 months. Have any of you tried this? I don't have a problem remembering my pill every day, and the act of taking the pill makes me feel like I have a little more control over everything.

Opinions? Input?

p.s. thanks to all of you for calming me down over the period thing. It made me feel so much better (your comments...not the tissue...)

5 Comments:

At 1:05 PM , Blogger Anna said...

Have you talked to your OB/GYN about a different pill? I know Ortho Tri-cyclen has a low dose version which works really well for some people. Talk to your doctor's office and see if they can help you come up with a better solution, without the headaches!

 
At 3:34 PM , Blogger aibee said...

Seasonale contains the exact same dosage of the exact same hormones contained in Microgynon, which is one of the older, second generation, lower dose birth control pills.

The difference between the two is that Seasonale gives you a longer time between sugar pills. You could achieve the same result by taking three packs of Microgynon, sans sugar pills, back to back.

As an aside, Seasonale contains the masculine progestin, levonorgestrel, which can, in some individuals, cause masculine type side effects like androgenic alopecia, more commonly known as pattern baldness. (says the small voice of experience)

As another aside, all pills contain the same estrogen analogy, ethinyl estradiol, though in varying doses. It's the progestin that generally determines what side effects you'll have.

 
At 9:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, read your jokes on jen's blog! You're funny! link -jenisfamous

 
At 8:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been on Seasonale for about 2 years now and it is GREAT!! I love only having to worry about my period 4 times a year - I will NEVER switch back. The only differences I noticed are that I have worse cramps, but for a shorter time period and I have one heavy day and the rest are very light. I haven't had any spotting or breakthrough bleeding either.

 
At 8:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you decide on seasonale? i have a three pack that expires dec 06.... if interested, email me at
julieltallant@yahoo.com

it was a sample I decided not to use and I hate to throw it away....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home