Egg Donation

I am an egg donor, and here you'll find details of my donation cycles. Go to the beginning of the blog for day-by-day details of each cycle. Questions or Comments? Email eggdonor@gmail.com.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

It's not rocket science. It's IVF.

Today is stims day 1. They decided to switch things up on me and now i have this giant gonal-f pen. It has 900 "units" and this weird dial on the end. I'm supposed to set the dial to 150, then turn another dial to 150, put the needle in, and then push the second dial to dispense the medicine. Sounds easy enough.


Clearly, I'm not thinking straight.

I got the set-to-150 part right. I inserted the needle end, and pushed. One little click happened. So I pulled it out and was like "That's it??! That can't be it!" What I should have done at this point was to poke myself again and push harder on that second dial to make sure it was all the way depressed. Instead, I wanted to see exactly how much 150 actually was. So I turned the second dial back up to 150 (where was it to start? I didn't look. I'm clearly not thinking straight). Well it clicked four times when I squirted this out into my hand. So I had deduced that I didn't get a full dose. However, in my haste I neglected all the sensible things to do, so I actually had no idea how much I had taken. So I thought a bit and figured, well, I got one click the first time, and there should have been 4 clicks, so I'll turn it back to 150, do 3 clicks, and then I'll have about the right amount. So that's what I did. Was that right? I have no idea. But I can't double dose on this stuff. Hopefully it's approximately correct and over the next 3 days I'll get it right and no harm will be done.

I've also decided that this pen crap is for the birds. First, it means I get TWO shots - one from the pen, and another of the repronex/lupron combo. So tomorrow, I'm going to do the lupron water drawup, inject that into the powdered repronex, and then take the damned pen, turn it to the right place, and inject all of that into the repronex, too. That way, it's all mixed together, and I can just draw it up into one shot. It will prevent the problems of today, and it will also make me a less pissed off person from double sticking.

Stupid pen.

-------------------

There is better news, though. The clinic asked me today if I would be interested in a part time position with them answering questions about IVF for potential patients. It would basically be phone calls and emails detailing the process and what to expect. This is awesome. I already do a lot of that, anyway, via this blog. It will be fun to have it as a job, and to have contact with more people. There are still details to be worked out, but I'm looking forward to this.

1 Comments:

At 1:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You combined all your meds into one shot? Holy crap. My doc made me do the repronex and gonal f 12 hours apart. The clinic was so micromanaging, they would have shit bricks if I had taken everything all at once.

The gonal f pen requires priming before first use, btw. Chances are you didn't get anything out of that first click.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home