Egg Donation

I am an egg donor, and here you'll find details of my donation cycles. Go to the beginning of the blog for day-by-day details of each cycle. Questions or Comments? Email eggdonor@gmail.com.

Monday, September 20, 2004

Retrieval Eve

Today is the day before the retrieval. It's a nice break from the sonograms, shots, and blood work. My ovaries are huge, and a little sore. I'm looking forward to the retrieval tomorrow morning.

Here are some general things to know. There is standard surgery protocol to follow: no eating or drinking after midnight or in the morning. My doctor also says no ibuprofen until after the retrieval.

Tomorrow I'll focus on whe actual process you'll be awake for. But while you're asleep, the good stuff happens.

The Egg Donation Proecdure

Of course I don't remember all of this, but the basic process involves taking the sonogram transducer wand with a needle attachment. The wand is inserted like normal, and the needle is extended. It pierces the wall of your vagina, goes through the abdominal cavity (hopefully not hitting anything along the way), and then into the ovary. It then basically sucks up each egg. They do this on the right side and left side.

I, for one, am VERY glad I can't feel that.

I found this picture. It's a little fuzzy, but you can see the needle attached to the top of the transducer (taken from University of Iowa Healthcare Center).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home