Egg Donation

I am an egg donor, and here you'll find details of my donation cycles. Go to the beginning of the blog for day-by-day details of each cycle. Questions or Comments? Email eggdonor@gmail.com.

Monday, August 09, 2004

Last Pill and Egg Donation Basics

Basics

So today is the last birth control pill that I took as a follow-up to my previous cycle. I'm starting this, my third one, right after the second.

The basic process, in case you haven't read it somewhere else, is to start the birth control pills. On day 18 of the pills, start injections of a hormone suppressor, and then move on to stimulating medications about a week before the donation.

Usually, you will go in for a sonogram during the 2nd or 3rd day of your period before beginning the process. That will probably be over the weekend for me. Once I have my sonogram, I'll detail that whole process here.

Basically, though, this first part is just normal life. Take the birth control every day, make sure you don't miss a dose, and take it at about the same time every day.

Extras and Morals

If this is your first donation, there may be other things you have to do at this point. I had a genetic screening over the phone, a big set of blood work to test for genetic problems (about 12 vials of blood - this wasn't a big deal and didn't hurt), and a visit with a social worker to make sure you don't have any moral or personal issues that might cause you distress with this process.

I don't want any kids of my own, so I may have a different perspective than others. My personal thoughts are that the egg donation is akin to something like bone marrow donation (though I've never done one of those). It's more of a process than blood donation, there's a bit of discomfort associated (less with eggs than marrow from what I head), but in the end you're helping a family. A family who is willing to go through the intense process of having an egg donor is really, in a sense, pre-screened as an ideal family. They really want the child, they are willing to focus their lives around having the child, and I think it is so rewarding to participate in that process.

Generally, you won't meet your family or know if your donation leads to a pregnancy. If you're thinking about donating, you should really be ok with that. If you think of it as a child of yours potentially running around, this is probably not a good idea for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home